Deerfly...70-300mm IS zoom + 1.4x tc.

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Deerfly...70-300mm IS zoom + 1.4x tc.

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all, :D

In response to a question by Beetleman in a previous post, http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=5256, I ran out and shot a test image putting the Canon EF 1.4x II teleconverter on the Canon EF 70-300mm IS zoom lens. Here's the result...

First off...To add the 1.4x Canon tc to the 70-300mm IS zoom requires mounting a 12mm extension tube between the lens and teleconverter, otherwise the rear element of the lens may crash into the front element of the tc when the zoom is set to focal lengths shorter than 300mm. Secondly...You lose a stop of light when adding the 1.4x tc. That 300mm f 5.6 setting now becomes f 8. That one stop difference does make it harder to focus. The image is dimmer and DOF is just deep enough so that you cannot easily see the critical plane of focus. Lastly...The images are not very sharp and contrast suffers immensely. :(

Teleconverters are best used with prime (single focal length) lenses. I don't even like the images from adding tc's to Canon's best professional L-series zoom lenses; lenses like the EF 70-200mm f 2.8L IS zoom or the EF 100-400mm f 4.5-5.6L IS zoom lens. The images lack contrast and sharpness to my eyes.

Best regards to all, as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Thank you very much Tom....you really are a wealth of info and Experience. Whenever you explain anything I gain a lot of knowledge from it. :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I agree with Tom that TCs work well with the prime, but not so well with the zoom lenses. Anyway, I cannot get a good image from a TC on a zoom.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome