:: View topic - Carpenter ants on a rotting tree
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Carpenter ants on a rotting tree

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Photography Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Carpenter ants on a rotting tree Reply with quote

Field width 2", largest ants are almost 1/2" long.

What's going on here? Well, I really don't know!

These are carpenter ants, a large species that inhabits western forests and generally makes its living in and around rotting wood. Apparently they're pretty flexible about this. I have seen what appear to be the same kind of ants nesting in both rotting wood and dry soil. In fact, just a couple of miles back from where I shot these, there were dense columns of these things coming and going from a 1/4" hole in gravel by the side of the trail, no trees within 10 feet.

Anyway, like all ants, the reproductive individuals are the winged princes and princesses that get kicked out of the nest to go fly their mating swarms.

When I first saw these, I thought that's what was about to happen. But no, this was more like sunbathing. All the winged ones were the smaller princes, not a princess in sight. After a while they all went back inside the tree, leaving me to wonder, "What was that all about?"

The picture above shows just a small part of the action. The bulk of the ants were actually in a different area that didn't photograph so well.

Here's the broader picture. Red rectangle is the closeup, green ovals are the big crowds of ants.

Happy hiking!

--Rik

Canon 300D, Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC. The first picture is at 125mm, closest focus, cropped to 1/2 frame width.
Ken Ramos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos Rik. Very Happy You should see their counterparts over in the Philippine jungles. Talk about pests. They got into one of our smaller magazines one time and built their nests around boxes of small arms ammo. Confused
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.
rjlittlefield

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I've heard of bombardier beetles, but never ammo-armed ants.

Talk about your basic unexpected hazards! Shocked

--Rik
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Photography Gallery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: