Wasp thingie

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

Wasp thingie

Post by gpmatthews »

Zeiss Standard GFL Microscope
Stack of 36 images, combined with Helicon Focus
Objective: Zeiss Plan 1.6/0.03 - 5/0.1
Ocular: Watson x8 Compensating
"Krebs" light diffuser (actually a bottle top, used as described by Charlie, along with coloured light background using a substage filter)
Camera: Canon Powershot S50
ISO 100, 1/13 sec, F4.9

A flat-bed scan of the specimen below. The specimen was approx 1.7 cm long. A proper ident would be much appreciated. It was a "present" from the cat.

Graham

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Graham,

this upper shot is terrific!! Thank you very much!!

Bernhard

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

You really nailed this one Graham. Looks like he could crawl out of the monitor onto my desk! Really nice.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nicely done! I bet this would look great as a big print to show off the detail.

"A proper ident would be much appreciated."

On first impression, this strikes me as a digger wasp, family Sphecidae, possibly genus Sphex. See for example http://bugguide.net/node/view/11085/bgimage. Unfortunately bugguide.net mostly covers North American species, not European. I can't do any better right now -- don't have my key-type references handy, and as I recall they rely on wing venation that I can't make out in the flatbed scan.

--Rik
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Beautiful pictures, Graham. Nice composition, colors and details.
Piotr