Fiery Skipper Butterfly...

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Fiery Skipper Butterfly...

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all, :D

I just got my Canon EF 70-300mm IS zoom lens back from Canon repair today. Gee, another good reason for taking a break from setting up the new forums... :wink:

Fiery Skipper (Hylephila phyleus) Canon EOS 20D with Canon EF 70-300mm IS zoom lens set at 300mm, ISO 400, 1/200 sec @ f 8, natural light, monopod with IS turned on.

I dearly love this lens. I just wish it were built a little more tougher like a Canon L-lens. The older Canon 75-300mm IS zoom lens was pretty dreadful. This lens, however, is very sharp for a consumer grade lens.

I had forgotten to take an extension ring with me when I went out to the garden to shoot. I shot this image at the lens' closest focusing distance of just under 5'. The image, above, is a 25% crop from the middle of the full frame. I'd say that's not bad sharpness for only stopping down 1 f stop. :D

Now, I just can't wait for my Sigma 180mm f 3.5 macro lens to arrive...Thursday :!: :D

Best regards to all as always :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

A really nice shot Tom. :D I am going to have to send my 20D back to Canon for a cleaning. There are spots on my sensor that will not budge. I think they are under the cover glass "on" the sensor. Anyway you got an ant in the flower. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Sven Bernert

Re: Fiery Skipper Butterfly...

Post by Sven Bernert »

twebster wrote:Now, I just can't wait for my Sigma 180mm f 3.5 macro lens to arrive...Thursday :!: :D
ROFL Tom :lol: you'll love it big time! It was my most used lens at one time. Most of my macro work between 2000 and 2004 (I think) came out of this lens, often in combination with the Canon converters (put a 12 mil ET between lens and TC) and later with both Sigma converters. I really enjoyed the way how the lens fits my hand when working. We call that “Haptik” in German, don’t know if there is an English word that describes the “feel” when you touch something.

Nice colors in your image!

Best,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

I like the way the two leaves on the left give the whole picture a 3D look. very sharp Tom :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens