King Bolete

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

King Bolete

Post by Ken Ramos »

(Both Images)
EOS 350D
1/200 sec. @ f/4.5 ISO 100
430EX Canon Speedlite (-1/3) w/diffuser
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Canon Macro USM

The afternoon rains that occur from the heating of the day, have prompted a bumper crop of these King Bolete mushrooms in my yard. King Bolete are edible according to my Smithsonian field guide and are supposed to have a pleasant smell and a nutty taste. :D I will take their word for it, because sever liver damage is not really what I favor after a meal. :(

In the second image, a parasite of the bolete is Sepedonium chryospermum (inset upper left also), a filamentous white mold which will later become powdery and golden yellow due to the asexual spores.
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Well Ken, I thought maybe you found the cure for "HAIR LOSS" with the second picture. :lol: (I could have used that). I guess the mushroom is having a bad hair day. Excellent photos Ken, and thank you for the great info on the mushrooms.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well Doug I have heard reports on stuff that would grow hair on a rock but a poor feller like me can't afford those remedies. Yep that second image is pretty much what my hair may look like if the years continue, thin and gray. Thanks Doug. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

paul

Post by paul »

Thanks for showing this Ken, most interesting. And you caught those fine split hairs beautifully, great highlighting them in the inset.

Good shooting,
Paul
paul h

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Paul. :D At first I did not know what kind of mushrooms they were. They are pretty when they pop up and I hardly give them a thought but this time, for some reason, they captured my interest, probably because they were so large. Having a Smithsonian field guide to mushrooms, I researched them a bit and ran across the bit about the mold that sometimes invades the King Bolete. There were only two, at present, that were affected by the parasitic mold. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

What Paul said ... =D>

Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sven said:
What Paul said ... =D>
:lol: Thanks Sven! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy