Parralax focusing

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

matt

Parralax focusing

Post by matt »

I have a focusing screen for my Nikon that is a plain matte, with a clear circle in the middle.In the very centre is a cross-hair.( Nikon 'c' screen for those than know them)
Its made for macro work, for parralel focusing.
Can anyone explain parralax focusing, I thought I knew but its not working>
Thankyou
Matt

matt

Post by matt »

I think Ive got it sorted now, will know when this roll is developed.
Matt

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Sorry Matt, just catching up. Not sure on the Nikon screen. I have a Canon which has a split screen for microscope and larger macro ratios. it also has a cross hair, double cross hair to be exact. What that does is to split the image into two halves, very obvious split, almost like its on two levels. When focused the two images merge. Can't use it in daylight std shots, its awful for that :D , works best with smaller F/stops. It also shows any difference in correct 90 degree alignment, a speciality with these focusing screens. Helps out in the vertical area.

All the best Matt, sorry but I don't have Nikon';s version :D

Danny.

matt

Post by matt »

No worries Danny,I saw your website so I imagine you must be busy trying to get flies to sit still.
Im only at one third lifesize at the moment and I dont think the screen is that much better than the standard screen. Out of interest-at what point do you ythink special focusing screens start becoming useful?Some of the shots on your site( havent had a chance to see all yet) must be 10x or more?
Matt

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

I've only ever used it when on the microscope with the old Canon A1, not something I use now days Matt :D . All those shots are with added lenses to the Sony CD-1000 or the Panasonic FZ10. My slides I've never scanned. Too may to scan LOL.

It was supposed to be used on a bellows as well Matt, but to be honest I just used the std screen all the time with bellows. Fine if you are taking flower shots, but a pain for insects. Found the cross hairs too distracting. A flat circle screen would be useful Matt, with no split.

All the best Matt.

Danny.