May be going digital...

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi Guys :D

The G5 is TTL compatible with the EX series of Canon flashes (220EX, 380EX, 420EX, and 550EX). A lot of macro-photographers use the Canon G-series cameras with the TTL flashes. I think MacroMike and mplonsky used G3's with the EX flashes before they bought their digital slr's.
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Just 2 more weeks and I should be able to order my digital camera :!: :D :!: WOOHOO :!: :D :!:

I think I've made up my mind on the order of preferred cameras:

1) Canon G5
2) Canon G3
3) Nikon 4500
4) Nikon 990

If anyone is contemplating a point and shoot digital camera for photomacrography and photomicrography, here are my reasonings:

G3 or G5 1) Either camera accepts a reversed 50mm lens (for really close macro work) over the front of the lens rather easily. The filter adapter is a seperate tube and bears the weight of the extra lens rather than the lens having to bear the extra weight. 2) 3 minute video clips rather than 30 secs. 3) There are 3rd party filter adapters that receive a 52mm filter. This means I would be able to use Nikon's 3T and 4T dual element diopter lenses. These are every bit as good as Canon's 250D and 500D and are 1/2 the price or less. 4) Canon has software that allows the camera to be controlled by your computer via a USB cable. You can view your image live and make exposures from the software. Although it won't allow me to shoot video clips it will allow me to set an intervelometer to catch time lapse sequences. This will be very useful for making clips of slow growing crystals. 5) The rear LCD screen swivels in many directions. 5) 5 megapixels will make for some dynamic prints! 6) MacroMike is sending me an adapter to attach a G1/G2/G3/G5 to my microscope :D

Nikon Coolpix 4500 or Coolpix 990 1) I would prefer the 4500 over the 990 for the longer telephoto at the long end of the zoom range. 2) The 990 is the least expensive of my alternatives and has a proven track record of use in photomicroscopy. 3) The lens and camera bodies swivel independently of each other but only in one direction. Still, this is a useful feature. 4) The only disadvantages for using the Coolpix cameras will come when I want to attach filters and additional lenses to front of these cameras. Finding 28mm filters is tough. Adding a reversed 50mm lens to the Coolpix puts a considerable strain on the swivel between the camera body and lens, so I'm told. Also, video clips can only be 30 secs long.

Which camera I get will depend on how large my "gainshare" check will be and how much of it has to be applied to other bills. Whichever camera I end up with I'll be happy to be "going digital". However, I hear our "gainshare" checks will be substantial :!: :D The saga continues... :!:

Best regards to all, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Tom,

You certainly can't go wrong with any of the cameras you list. I am curious as to what photo-relay you'll use with the Canons on your microscope--will that be a reversed 50mm lens too?

Steve

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Steve :D

If I can get the Canon G3 or G5 I will have a couple of ways I can couple them to the microscope. MacroMike (God bless his soul and friendship :!: :D ) is sending me a Scopetronix MaxView Plus microscope adapter that will fit the G3 or G5. He was using it on an older Nikon microscope with a Canon G2 and decided to give up photomicrography and dedicate himself to photomacrography. I've seen images taken with this adapter and they look pretty good.

If necessary, I have the LOMO 10x corrected widefield eyepiece as well as an extra Nikon HKW 10x eyepiece to use. I have a Novoflex double rail macro focus platform that can be attached to the enlarger stand. This will allow me to lower the camera lens close enough to the eyepieces to use them as field lenses.

I think I've got all the bases covered. It'll be fun to experiment and compare the results. :D

Best regards as always,
Tom Webster
Administrator

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all :!:

Well, I done did it...I ordered a used Canon G3 from B&H Photo today.

WooHoo :!: WooHoo :!:

I should have it in my hot little hands on Wednesday :!: WooHoo :!:
Tom Webster
Administrator

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Now wait a minute Tom. You can't go giving yourself something so close to Christmas. I think you should wrap it, and put it under the tree until the 25th...

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Oh, Steve :!:

Now don't go getting jealous on me, my friend :!: :D Of course, I bribed my wife. I told her she could have her Christams gift early too :!: :wink:

Best regards my friend, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator