Ant Headshot

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Chien

Ant Headshot

Post by Charles Chien »

Canon 10D, Tominon 17mm f4 on about 10 inches of extension tubes and bellows at f8, 1/250 sec., 3 diffused manual flashes as main light source at night. Full frame, leveled, USMed, dust spot removed.

I was trying originally my MP-E 65mm lens on ants and aphids. I did not get too many interesting shots with that. Then, I remember Danny talking about his goal of this summer... I thought it would be interesting if I try that in parallel with him. I took a shot or two of some aphids, with the lens wide-open. Well, I turned it to f8 to get more DOF, and it became really dark with only a 100 watts of light with all 10 inches of extensions and bellows. :roll: Moving around the scene in very dark viewfinder, I thought I saw an ant's head, and that "shinny" (not really) drop of dew from the aphid, I instinctively pressed the shutter twice (making sure the flashes recharged after a pause) and hoped for the best. This is the first one, while the second one was just too late...

Hope you like it.
Charles Chien

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

And I love your work why. :wink: Superb use of gear and a brilliant ratio along with the shot. How many time do we get to see them this close :shock: , amazing Charles, beautiful work M8t.

All the best Charles, thanks for the unique view, man thats something.

Danny.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Now this is up close and personal. Nice capture.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Nice one Charles. It seems to show that ants have round ccd's for eyes, you can see the pixels.
Ken
Ken

LBadrick

Post by LBadrick »

Thats another close one Charles. Any closer and you'll have to start powdering their faces to minimise the shine. :roll:

Is that the dew he has in his mouth? That's something special, getting an image within the dew at that magnification!

Regards,

Lee.

Charles Chien

Post by Charles Chien »

Thanks to all for viewing and commenting.
LBadrick wrote:... Is that the dew he has in his mouth? That's something special, getting an image within the dew at that magnification! ...
Yes, Lee, that's the dew from an aphid. It was pure luck that I was able to catch that. Good observation.
Charles Chien