Cicada

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

S. Alden
Site Admin

Cicada

Post by S. Alden »

Another one from my files. I am trying to get organized, but it is a difficult process. Organized is just not what I am and by the looks of things, it is not something that will soon be in my immediate future either :lol: .

Canon D60
Canon 100mm Macro 2.8
ISO 200
Shutter Speed 1/350
Aperture 8.0
Handheld
Cropping
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Love perspectives like this Sue. Sharp and good selective focus. Do you get the red and brown varieties where you are Sue ??. I've see them from Australian posters I think it was. We get this variety and a brown one. Some from up your way are really unusual.

All the best Sue, I took two shots the other day a Cicada, nothing as good as this I'm afraid.

Danny.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

We get the red-eyes that show themselves every seven years. They came out this past year, but I was unable to get images of them :cry: .
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Nice one Sue. I wondering what those three little red dots, rather like rubies, are in the centre of the head. If it were a spider I would say they were eyes!
Like Danny says we get the green one here too, the brown one that we get is native to New Zealand.
Ken
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Lordy, that's one ugly bug, Sue. :shock: But I think you captured his best side. :D

KenV, the three ruby colored spots on the head are "ocelli". They are, in fact, 3 extra, simple eyes. However, the ocelli are used to detect night/day cycles and help govern the cicada's circadian rhythm.

Best regards as always, Sue :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

LBadrick

Post by LBadrick »

Wow, that's a pretty coloured one Sue. Out here they are just dull brown.
Yep, going to have to get organised too. Gonna try out a few image managers. My files are just getting to big to continue drilling down folders within folders.

Regards,

Lee