My collecting haunts - part 1

Danny, Michael, and I (Tom) couldn't be happier and more impressed with our members and friends! It would be wonderful if we all got to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Moderators: nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

My collecting haunts - part 1

Post by gpmatthews »

This is a picture of Warnham Millpond, around which I collect many of my specimens. The special thing about this picture is that it was taken by my 5 year old daughter Janejira a couple of weekends ago. The pond is part of a local nature reserve and is about 10 mins walk from where I live. I'm very fortunate to have permission to collect specimens for microscopy.
Graham

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D A nature enthusiasts and microscopists dream here Graham and only a ten minute walk away. Lovely indeed, one could spend years studying that pond and its ecosystem both macro and microscopic. Just viewing the photo sets ones mind to pondering the possibilites of haveing such a pond so close and handy for study. I myself have to drive miles away to enjoy such as this but at least I can for now and for that I am thankful. Have you or have you ever thought of doing a detailed study of the pond :?:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

A lovely photograph of a beautiful spot Graham, it makes me very nostalgic.
Ken
Ken

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Graham, tell your daughter she's a better photographer than I am--One reason I took up macro is that there are no horizons to keep straight, and I never could get that right in regular photography! But she got things level at age 5.

I envy you having a place so close. I live in downtown Oklahoma City (yes, we have a downtown here! :) ) It is a five minute walk (literally) to my work, but finding a good place for nature photography requires a significant drive! I do occasionally find a few insects or human-planted flowers to photograph, though....
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Graham,

This looks great! We can all put our cameras down now that your daughter is on board!

My two favorite microscopy books cover your territory:

The freshwater life of the British Isles by John Clegg

and

Freshwater microscopy by W.J. Garnett

I had both shipped from the UK last year--excellent reads.

Steve