Flash photomicrography

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

Flash photomicrography

Post by gpmatthews »

I have just completed an interim solution for using flash photomicrography. This is the poor man's approach, as I've been spending far too much money on microscopy recently, buying objectives on e-bay. So, until I invest in a decent slave flash system I decided to use the flash in my Powershot S50. I don't know what the flash duration is. The flash power can be adjusted in 3 steps. The approach was to take the flash output from the camera via a fibre optic cable into a lamp, such that the fibre optic tip replaces the bulb filament. A microscope slide is used as a mirror, thus allowing the normal microsope light source to be used in the normal way.

Look out for some new images (what have you started, Charlie? - everyone loks like they're moving to flash!)
Graham

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Graham,

Taking the internal flash via a fibercable is certainly a unique and straightforward approach. I'll be interested to know how it all works out. I'll be using the beamsplitter approach like you. Alas, my flash sits in a box waiting for Christmas...

Steve

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D You know something there Graham, you have answered a lot of questions I have had, with just one photograph. It also dawned on me what Tom was talking about with his camera set up too. I saw a copy stand, similar to an enlarger stand, at a local photo shop in Ashville, N.C. I may try to mount the G5 on one of those and position it over an eyepiece on my phototube. I seemed to get much better photographs when I was shooting my FinePix 2650 through the eyepiece. I have tried it with the G5 already, before I got my relay adapter, and it seemed to work fine but I could not steady the G5 very well. Right now the relay adapter works fine on the G5 but I feel that the camera itself could/can take much better images with a set up like yours or Toms. Thanks again Graham, and Tom, you have given me something to go on. And I like that flash set up too Graham, I have often wondered how to do that. :? You guys are giving me too many ideas to go out and spend money on. 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Ken,

This was truly a budget set-up. The most expensive item was the fibre optic light guide - I treated myself to two extra. i.e. 3 at $12.50 apiece from http://www.candhsales.com. Everything else was either already here, or else fabricated. You may be interested in the microscope slide mirror mounting - I used a globe-headed map pin as the basis for a balljoint which supports a clip superglued to the slide. The whole assembly is bolted to a bracket stuck to the microscope foot with double sided tape:

More details at http://www.gpmatthews.nildram.co.uk/mic ... setup.html
Graham

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Now we're talking Graham!

From personal experience, I just don't know how anything got invented before we had tape, superglue, and 5 minute epoxy!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D Graham, necessity is the mother of invention I have always heard.

:D Yep, Charlie your right. JB Weld is another good fix all. Held the transmission linkage together on an old chevy I used to have. Don't ask, its a long redneck story from my wild and wooly days 8)!
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.