Up-dating Links In Previous Posts.

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

georgedingwall

Up-dating Links In Previous Posts.

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi all,

I've been struggling to keep my free website space within the limit allowed by my ISP, but I seem to be doing more photography these days, and it's inevitable that I will excede the limit.

So I've gone to a commercial web host and now have a site that will not run out of space - for a while anyway. :)

My question is this. Is there any easy way of updating links in any posts I have aready made to show the new site? Or would I have to edit each post individually.

Thanks for your time.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' George, :D

Unfortunately you will have to edit each post individually to point to the new address for the images. We run a barebones phpBB with few features, I'm sorry to say.

Best regards as always, my friend. :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

However, there is sort of a stop-gap measure. Your current signature is shown even when old posts are viewed again.

So if your signature says generally where the reloaded images can be found, then at least dedicated viewers have a fair shot at tracking them down.

This won't help casual viewers, but maybe it gives you some "breathing room" so you don't feel compelled to get one massive editing session done ASAP.

--Rik

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice.

It'll probably be easier just to leave the old site up. It is freespace from my broadband provider, so as long as I have the account, the space will be there.

I'll just use the new host from now on and stop updating the old one.

Bye for now.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi all,

Having just moved my website to a new host yesterday, I find today that my old site is unreachable for some reason.

I've reported to tech support, but history tells me they wont be in a hurry.

Anyway, I went through most of my posts and updated the links so that they now point to my new site. There are 1 or 2 links that will still be broken, as these point to images that were only intended to be up temporarily. If anybody notices any broken links, please contact me. My email address is available on my website.

I suppose it was a stroke of good fortune that made me decide to move to a new host 24 hours before my old host seems to have given up the ghost. :lol:

Bye for now.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland