make a slide of an EARWIG

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

LOCOPERRO

make a slide of an EARWIG

Post by LOCOPERRO »

HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT MAKING A SLIDE OF AN EARWIG

LOCOPERRO

Post by LOCOPERRO »

LOOKS LIKE LOTS OF PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DO THIS BUT NO ONE THAT DOES

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

First, find an earwig! :D

If you're serious, the following links may help you.

This article is by our host (just one of 'em, actually), Uberphotographer Tom Webster:

http://www.oncloserinspection.com/Photo ... ro_kit.htm

This article is more generic:

http://www.photo.net/learn/macro/
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

lacerta

Post by lacerta »

The smaller the insect, the better. Otherwise the mount will be too thick which will make using your higher magnification more difficult. I usually start by placing the insect in a fixative solution such as AFA, or alcohol-formalin-acetic acid for a few days. This will soften the critter and clear out much of the softer innards and allow for a thinner mount. I use a 4:4:2 ratio of 90% ethanol, formalin, and glacial acetic acid. You can store your insects in this solution for several months. When ready to mount, transfer the specimen into straight 90% ethanol to remove any water. Soak for a couple hours and place specimen on slide. Put a drop of toulene on the specimen and examine for any bubbles. Use a fine pin or a hair to adjust position and swipe away any air bubbles. Then use a drop or two of "clear mount" or Canadian Balsum and place coverslip over specimen. The toulene is a solvent that allows the mounting medium to flow out nicely. Good luck. Mounting specimens is probably more of an art than a science.
George

LOCOPERRO

THANK YOU

Post by LOCOPERRO »

THANK YOU

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

I have a macro rather than a micro orientation, clearly...When someone mentions "slide" I think of a 35mm transparency, not a glass thing you slide under a microscope! :D
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

LOCOPERRO

THATS OK

Post by LOCOPERRO »

Thats ok did wounder what the conection was but still interesting anyway

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Threw me for a loop to Mike but I did not want to say anything. However I knew where you were coming from. I do the same things from time to time. Only natural I suppose! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.