VIVITAR 100 MACRO HELP

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Denise

VIVITAR 100 MACRO HELP

Post by Denise »

Hi

I have been given a Vivitar 100mm AF macro lens.
Its in very good shape, but I cant get it to focus, it just shows FEE when I attach the lens???? I have a Nikon F80.
Any ideas??

Denise

mikebinok

Post by mikebinok »

I don't know the Nikon system, so don't know what FEE means, but I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Is the autofocus/manual focus switch set to autofocus? I've overlooked that plenty of times, don't feel bad if you did! :lol:

2) The Vivitar 100mm macro goes to 1:2 magnification on its own. You can get it to 1:1 magnification by screwing a diopter (included when you buy the lens) on the front of the lens. The diopter lets the lens focus closer, and get to 1:1 magnification. But it prevents focus at infinity, or even more than a couple of feet from the lens. If you're trying to autofocus on something far away and have the diopter on, the camera won't be able to achieve focus. Check and see if there's a screw-on attachment that looks like a magnifying glass on the front of the lens. If there is, unscrew it and I'll bet the lens will autofocus fine. But save the diopter, you'll be wanting it later for 1:1 magnification.

If neither of these work, a couple of other bits of information may help people figure out what is wrong:

Can you achieve sharp focus with the lens in manual focus mode?

Does the lens attempt to autofocus at all? Does it "hunt" then give up?

One more thing--I don't know the Nikon system, but I understand there are some compatibility issues between very old lenses and very new camera bodies, and vice-versa. Are you sure the lens you have is 100% compatible with your camera body? If the lens is very old, this might be an issue. Someone versed in "The Dark Side" will have to help you if you need help there.

Congrats on acquiring the Vivitar 100mm--It was my first macro lens, and it is a very sharp lens that takes excellent photos.

Post by Guest »

Thanx for the reply, MUCH APPRECIATED....
Its set to smallest aperture, there is no lock on the lens, and camera is set to AF.
There is the attachment you mentioned, I`ll take that off and again try.
There is no attempt to focus at all from the lens
The bumf Iv read on the lens, states its compatible with my F80.
Yeh it will be a great addition for nothing if it works LOL ;-))

Denise

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Denise,

I am not familiar with the Vivitar AF lens, but have some familiarity with Nikon AF bodies including N90S, N8008, and a few others.

IIRC the FEE shows up in the LCD display if the AF lens is not set at the smallest aperture when mounted, e.g. f22 or whatever.

You might give it a try and see if it works.

All the best,

Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Post by Guest »

Iv always mounted it with the aperture set to 22
Iv now cleaned the contacts and still no joy
Denise

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Denise, can you focus the lens manually by turning the focus ring?
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources ... ility.html

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/co ... index1.htm

I have no idea if the above tables mean anything to you or not, but there is apparently at least one series of autofocus lenses that aren't compatible with the F80.

Sorry if I'm telling you old-hat stuff you already know, but I can't resist poking around with google sometimes!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)