Diffusing the flash, or not....

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

GreenLarry

Diffusing the flash, or not....

Post by GreenLarry »

I was wondering if you diffuse your flash gun for macro work or not.
I know that at such close ranges a small light source,such as a flashgun, becomes a large light source, but large enough not to cast harsh shadows, that I doubt.
Also, I remeber Heather Angel saying how its best to photograph flowers etc on overcast days as the light is more diffuse and the light looks more natural, plus at such close range, even tho the light is diffused by clouds there are still highlights, thus creating a natural looking image.
But I would imagine a flashgun burst wouldnt be so diffused as its used quite close to the camera.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

My flash work is mostly not diffused, but with the flash positioned at the front of the lens, very close to the subject. An example is the wasp and aphids that currently appears on the photomacrography.net front page.

--Rik

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

I usually diffuse with my 180mm macro, though not if light is in short supply (say I'm shooting at f/32 in a poorly-illuminated area).

With the 50mm macro or the MP-E-65, I don't usually diffuse, though I probably need to look at doing it for ants and similar shiney bugs.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Frankly, Larry, I quit diffusing my flash since I started playing with the polarized electronic flash. Both Rik and Mike hit on the main point...get that flash close to your subject. If your flash starts getting farther from your subject then you do need to diffuse the flash. The farther the flash from the subject the more it acts as a point light source. When shooting macro just a few inches furthe back from the subject can create issues with shadows.

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

MikeBinOKlahoma wrote:I usually diffuse with my 180mm macro, though not if light is in short supply (say I'm shooting at f/32 in a poorly-illuminated area).

Thaks guys!

Im a bit confused by this tho, if light is in short supply, well surely thats not an issue if yours using flash!

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

twebster wrote:Frankly, Larry, I quit diffusing my flash since I started playing with the polarized electronic flash.

Not sure about polarized flash(I only have one flash unit) but

If your flash starts getting farther from your subject then you do need to diffuse the flash. The farther the flash from the subject the more it acts as a point light source. When shooting macro just a few inches furthe back from the subject can create issues with shadows.

Best regards, :D
Now thats interesting! Not something I would have thought of!
Thanks for the info!