Horizontal microscope setup for aquarium observation

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gslaten

Horizontal microscope setup for aquarium observation

Post by gslaten »

Hi,

In the microscopy forum I posted a couple of photos of a hydra taken with a horizontal microscope I setup for observing live action in the aquarium. This is certainly not my idea, I got it from Werner Nachtigall in Exploring with the Microscope, pg 118.

The setup as it is constructed at the moment is an old monocular tube and focusing block bolted to a rather stout Newport lab jack. This is in turn sitting on an elevated platform made of a small Newport optical bench. This works well as both the jack and table surface are hard anodized and the jack slides very nicely on the table. The sliding of the jack provides X movement, while the lab jack provides Y movement. There is plenty of focusing movement provided by the focusing block with the CP950 set on 0.1m fixed focus. An improvement will be to add guides to guarantee the jack/microscope/camera assembly moves parallel to the table edge.

The objective in current use is a Nikon 4X (achromat I think) and the relay lens is a 10X AO stereo scope eyepiece with threads attached for screwing into the Nikon CP 950. I will be trying a Nikon 10X LWD in the near future, but suspect it might be a bit too much magnification.

As seen in the photo, the light comes in from the side and gives sort of a darkfield effect. Anyway, a fun exercise.

Gary

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

A lot of possible uses with that set up Gary. Certainly something I never would have thought about. I would imagine one could do pretty much the same thing with an old stereomicroscope as well. As for the 10X LWD, I don't see where it would not work but then again even though it has a LWD the thickness of the aquarium glass may be a bit too much but definitly worth a try.

As for stability, that jack and bench look to be as solid as one could get. Probably could hit it with an old Chevy Suburban or something similar and it wouldn't budge. I thought of purchasing a lab jack at one time but thought over its probable uses and scrubbed the idea and considered it a waste of money. Now I am not so sure. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.