Lomo Microscope

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Kenv

Lomo Microscope

Post by Kenv »

Well I have it set up, kind of. So far I am very pleased with it, the objectives appear very sharp but shutter speeds I think would be very slow for living critters - I'm not sure how I will go about getting a flash but I'll work on it. This is the first photograph I have taken with it. A prepared slide, the subject is a cross section of Dipylidium Gravid, the egg case of the worm from a flea which plague dogs (and humans). 100X and then blown up in photoshop.
KenvImage
Ken

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Ken,

I'm glad you are up and running!! You got a great first shot. Was it a trinocular unit you got? What camera are you using? Did you apply any unsharp mask to your photo?

I think there is room for a 45-deg beamsplitter between your lamp collector and your phase condenser unit. I'll have to check my photos of my old LOMO to know for sure. That would be your best shot for a flash entry point. You also have a filter holder on top of the lamp collector. All you got to do is cut a 45-deg angle in a piece of pvc that fits in that filter recess. Then rtv a microscope slide onto the 45-deg cut. rotate it outward and hit it with a flash.

Won't be long, and Charlie will have convinced all of us to be using flashes!

I ordered my vivitar 283 and Wein safe sync. They arrived at my house yesterday. However the wife intercepted and said that nobody gets new stuff this close to Christmas without those items becoming defacto Christmas presents. So my flash sits under the tree until the 25th...

Steve

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Thanks Steve, yes it is a trinocular and the camera is a 300D. I think I will have a problem with flash with this camera because it does not have a socket for remote flash connection - unless there is some other way of firing the flash from the camera. Long way to go yet. I processed the image in Photoshop with quite a lot of USM.
Kenv
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

WooHoo, Ken :!:

Great first shot :!: You can get a flash to work on your Rebel. There's a hot shoe on top of the prism housing. I think between the bunch of us we can get you going with flash. :D

Keep 'em coming, my friend :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Thanks Tom, it will all have to wait till I get some money back in the bank - I'm getting my wife an FZ20 for Xmas.
Kenv
Ken

Post by Guest »

Hi Ken,

Let's see a picture of the rig!!! Also, what is your relay for the 300D?

You can also fire a slave flash using the Wein Peanut that Charlie talked about a while ago. The peanut senses the light from your camera's on-board flash and fires the external flash. YOu don't need a wire to the external flash then.

Steve

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Heres a pic of the rig, not sure what you mean by relay. I'm getting more hopeful about getting a flash from what people are saying - I just need to wait till I get some more greenbacks.
KenvImage
Ken

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Ken,

That brings back good memories! By relay, I mean the lens that's in the trinoc port that puts the image onto your camera. It looks like the relay was supplied as part of your microscope.

You'll have loads of fun with this unit :)

Steve

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Ken,

How is your Rebel attached to the microscope? Did you buy a threaded adapter for a Canon mount. If so, where did you get it, and do you know what the thread is?

Steve

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Steve, yes I got a screw thread Canon T mount. Mark Levitin of Optics Planet threw it in as a freebie. It is sold on their website. Sorry I can remember the name of the maker but it begins with C and they make microscopes.
Ken
Ken