Eyes bigger than stomach!

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Eyes bigger than stomach!

Post by Charles Krebs »

Sometimes I see things under the microscope that just make me scratch my head and smile. I'll leave it to you more knowledgeable folks to make the ID.... but I give this critter an A for effort in the eating department. 40X with 2.5X relay lens, Canon 10D. Oblique brightfield illumination.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:shock: I can't say what it is right off hand. A couple of the other guys are real good at identification of these organisms. The Protist Info Server is what I rely on the most along with Jahns book on protozoa. This is a very good image once again. I like the clarity and the exceptionally clean backgrounds that you come up with, good job 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Absoulutely amazing pictures, Charles! I'm really glad to see you as a new group member :-) !

I have no idea what it is, though. Tetrahymena or Colpidium, perhaps? How long the cell is? It's seems like this guy really enjoys these diatoms :-)
Piotr

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Piotr,

This guy should be about 120um (microns) in the longer dimension.

jswatts

Post by jswatts »

This could be Disematostoma. I saw a lot of Disematostoma in samples I gathered last summer from the drainage pond behind the lab where I work. They seemed to have a deinite fondness for diatoms and exhibited the same pattern of trichocysts seen in this image. These obliquely illuminated images are great!