Diatoms with newly acquired Zeiss x100 plan apo PH3

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

Diatoms with newly acquired Zeiss x100 plan apo PH3

Post by gpmatthews »

I acquired a new objective on e-bay and these are the first images taken whilst trying it out. It took me nearly a week to find the time - things have been a bit hectic of late, hence the lack of postings. I do not have a substage PH3 phase ring for this lens (or any other), so I have prepared a set of substage patch stops with patches in increments of 1 mm. I choose the one that just fits inside the phase ring of a given phase objective and then close down the substage condenser diaphragm to just graze the outside of the objective phase ring, using a pinhole eyepiece for alignment. The technique works quite well.

Pleurosigma fragment
Zeiss Standard GFL Microscope
Ocular: Olympus P15
Objective: Zeiss x100 Plan Apo PH3
Phase contrast
Camera: Canon Powershot S50
ISO 50, F4.9, 1/3 sec

Centre of centric diatom
Zeiss Standard GFL microscope
Phase contrast
ISO 50, F4.9, 1/3 sec
Slde: Dunkirk (Frez)

Another centric diatom
Zeiss GFL Microscope
Phase contrast
ISO 50, F4.9, 1/3 sec
Slde: Dunkirk (Frez)
Graham

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Graham,

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure I understand what you're doing. I have no hands-on experience with phase objectives. I gather that you're using the objective in phase mode, but with a home-brew condenser annulus instead of one designed for the job. Is that right?

Thanks,
--Rik

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Rik -

That's correct. The method is more flexible than having fixed condenser annuli and of course the substage stops have other uses. A poor man's Heine condenser!
Graham

piotr

Post by piotr »

Congratulations on the objective, Graham!

Great pictures, resolution is very decent, indeed. And your home-made phase ring seems to work flawlessly.
Piotr

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Indeed your homemade annulus does work quite well Graham, as does the new objective. Very nice! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Graham... sounds like (and looks like!) a nice objective. Good job on the "home-made" phase condenser...I always enjoy your clever equipment implementations.