Floscularia tube building

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Floscularia tube building

Post by Charles Krebs »

OK so here's a few more Floscularia shots, this time concentrating on the manufacture of the circular "bricks". Something of a follow-up to this posting: http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=4831

The top image shows a "cloud" of excrement that has come out of the tube. You can see how this could get "recycled" through and some of it incorporated into the "brick-balls".

This next image shows the location of the "socket" on the back of the head where the balls are actually formed. It also contains a close-up of the top edge of a tube.

This last image is a very close look at the "socket" as a ball is being formed. It is in constant motion, spinning around randomly, increasing in size as more material is added. (This was done with the 100X and in order to give the subject some "space" so it would behave more naturally, there was inevitably more water between the coverslip and the subject than there should be for really good resolution. But I thought it carried some useful info).

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Charlie,

As usual (from you) fantastic stuff!

Are you still using the Canon 10D for these shots? Flash?

One of my friends just moved to a 5D and I'm thinking of making the switch to dSLR but it's tough making a decision.

All the best,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

rene

Post by rene »

Nice! Amazing stuff.
René

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Mike ... used a Canon Rebel XT. I always use electronic flash if the subject is moving. And I need it now more than ever with DIC, as shutter speeds can get pretty slow with those two polarizers in there.

Frez

Post by Frez »

Very interesting! I assume the balls are encased in a type of natural glue that fastens them to the other balls.

Frez

micron

Post by micron »

Wow - a super series of images!! I am amazed that the Floscularia is still functioning normally with the 100x - must have been a lot of pressure on the poor critter.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ron... I think you saw how you can find a slender blade of grass with 5 or 6 of these guys attached. If you place these under a cover slip with a good supply of water, sooner or later you get "lucky". Some will be "pressed" against the slide, some will be "pressed" against the cover slip. But once in a while you get one that winds up positioned just below the slip with room to "be natural". The resolution takes a hit because it's not right against the slip, but it allows a look at real activity.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Excellent pictures and most interesting discussion. Also, it is interesting to compare these DIC images with your older brightfield version.
Piotr