clytia bakeri polyps

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

discomorphella

clytia bakeri polyps

Post by discomorphella »

I was in San Diego a bit ago and found a few bean clams (Donax gouldii) on the beach, each with a fringe of the colonial hydroid Clytia bakeri growing on them. Naturally I wanted to see how they looked under the scope...I manged to bring a few strands home in a cup of iced seawater (the looks I got from the TSA...). They lived for several weeks in a petri dish of sea water. They are fun to watch, and as a bonus, they are naturally birefringent (see last picture). Note the rows of stinging cells on the tentacles.
Optical conditions:
Dark Field using a 10X / 0.45 NA Nikon CFN Planapo objective with a darkfield stop on a Leitz 402a condenser
Oblique using an Olympus DPlanApo 40X / 0.85 NA objective
Both with a 10X Periplan GW HP eyepiece used as a relay lens to a Kodak DX4350 5 Mpxl camera. Standard 12V Halogen lamp with Kohler for all shots. Polarized picture was taken between crossed polarizers with a red first order waveplate. Images histogram corrected and background normalized using imageJ. Next the medusa forms.

--David

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

David... you really had me hitting the Google toolbar on this one. Learned a few things, and thanks to your pictures, got a good look at a new creature (for me). I find the oblique image particularly interesting and informative.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wow these are some nice shots! I need to get over here more often. Great work David! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.