3 from recent outing

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Moebius

3 from recent outing

Post by Moebius »

This first critter, who I have not identified yet, was a tough chase on a windy day. I finally sang it a song to calm it down enough for a quick pic.

This next little guy was only about 2 cm long and caught him on a lambs ear. The cushy background makes an interesting picture.

I think this fly has been posted earlier by Beetleman and Ken Ramos, but was such a strange guy that I had to throw my version in. This thing was smaller than a housefly. I think he may get the ugly award

All taken at Fontenelle Forest in Bellevue, Nebraska

Ken Nelson
Canon 30d
Sigma 150mm
Hand held with Sigma Super DG 500 flash
Reworks and Reposts Welcomed

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken, these are excellent! Almost textbook examples of how to illuminate a subject and separate it from its background. The first two are especially good that way. On the third one, the wings blend a bit into the dark background, but the sharpness and delineation of the thorax and head more than makes up for it. Very nice! :D

Your first critter is a mayfly, order Ephemeroptera. From the dullness of the wings, I'd say you've got one that has just molted from its aquatic larva. It's actually got one more molt to go, before it's a full adult. Quoting from "How to Know the Insects" (1978 edition, pg.65):
Developmental time is highly dependent on water temperature and some species take two or more years to develop and may molt 50 times. After the last molt a winged form, the subimago, emerges at the water surface and flies to a nearby resting site. The subimago has duller wings and shorter tails than the adult (imago) and it molts once (usually by the following day) to the adult stage. Mayflies are the only insects known to molt after functional wings have developed.
In that last molt, as best I can tell, the imagos actually succeed in pulling a new set of fully functional wings from between the layers of the subimago's wings. Contemplate the delicacy of that maneuver!

Nice pictures -- thanks for posting! :D

--Rik
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Thanks for the comments, Rik. I thought it looked mayfly-like, but for some reason I envisioned them as being smaller. I do have another pic of one where the tail is longer and the wings slightly more erect, I wonder if this is a result of a second molting? I would post here, but have already used my 3 images for the day. I will post a link to it...not as sharp as this one, but you can see the longer tail.

http://perceptions.smugmug.com/photos/80134037-M.jpg

I also have another equally good pic of the fly..like this one better? I am disappointed that the original image shows more detail in the eye than these...perhaps resizing and compressing from RAW to jpg will do that?

http://perceptions.smugmug.com/photos/80134040-M.jpg

Appreciate the comments and tutelage

Ken

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken,

Mayflies come in a wide range of sizes. Where I live, our largest is about 25mm body length, and our smallest is about 3 mm. (Tails and legs are extra.)

I think your other picture is also a subimago. The wings of the adults that I know are very clear. If you want to pursue the question, you can capture these things and keep them in a jar overnight. They don't eat anything, so there's not much care required. Chances are, you'll soon have a much different mayfly, and a cast skin. (My screen doors are covered with the skins right now -- we had a hatch last week.)

The second fly image does show the wings better, but it's a tough call. They're both good shots. The detail problem is hard to solve. That Sigma 150 that you and Judy Melanson use looks like an awesome lens, able to resolve detail finer than the sensor in your camera. So you're definitely going to lose detail when you shrink your images for the web. The challenge is how to avoid the impression of losing detail.

I'm guessing that your original image may even resolve individual facets in the eyes. The problem is, they're so small that when you do the 5X or so reduction to web size, the facets all blur together and give a matte appearance that the viewer may misinterpret. Sometimes that appearance can be avoided by aggressive sharpening (ok, oversharpening), but that has its problems too and I really can't recommend it. Another approach is to use an accompanying cropped image or a detail inset like the third picture at this post. I suppose it's even possible to plan ahead and frame the original to leave a good place for the inset, but I've never managed that trick.

Hey, at the risk of going off-topic, how are things going with that Peru trip?

--Rik
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Ah, the Peru trip. I leave July 28th for 12 days of fishing/photography/zip-lining in the canopy. I and a buddy are both bringing our 30d's and Sigma 150mm lenses. He has money coming out of his ears and bought a Canon 17-40mm L-series and a 70-200 (or was it 70-300....hmm) 2.8 L-series with teleconverter. At the moment, all I have are the kit 18-55mm kit lens and my Sigma 150mm macro, as well as my FZ-20 as backup. I feel poor at this point and hope that between my usage of the Sigma 150mm as a telephoto or FZ-20, I will be able to capture some monkey/bird shots.

However, it won't take much for someone to convince me that I need another lens and that I would regret it. Does someone feel strongly that I need another lens down there? If so, I would be looking in the $500 range and no more. The monkey/bird shots won't appeal to me personally as much as the insects, and I will have my buddy's pics for remembrance of the trip. (you can tell I am trying to justify not spending any money). Comments?

Ken

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken,

You wrote:

"However, it won't take much for someone to convince me that I need another lens and that I would regret it. Does someone feel strongly that I need another lens down there? If so, I would be looking in the $500 range and no more. The monkey/bird shots won't appeal to me personally as much as the insects, and I will have my buddy's pics for remembrance of the trip. (you can tell I am trying to justify not spending any money). Comments?"

Well, I'm not going to tell you that you need another lens. It sounds to me like you have everything you need. Any more and you'll waste a bunch of time swapping lenses for minimal gain, instead of enjoying the trip and bringing back lots of pictures for us to enjoy too.

Go in peace, my friend -- you are ready!

--Rik

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Moebius

Ken, ever struck you his lenses will fit your camera? Borrowing a friends lens for this shot or that is always cheaper than buying your own. He can't use all his lenses on his camera at once. And you could always offer to lend him yours from time to time, so shaming him into agreeing!

DaveW