A double dip of Diptera

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

A double dip of Diptera

Post by Charles Krebs »

Still playing around with the lower power objectives and HF. Here are images of two different flies. The photos were assembled from fairly large "stacks" (30-40 pictures or so). The first was done with a 3X objective; the second was a larger specimen and was taken using a 2.5X. A 2.5X photo-eyepiece was used with both, and lighting was provided by 2 fiber optic light guides, partially diffused.

Frez

Post by Frez »

Yikes!! That specimen looks perfect. There's hardly any dust. Did you have to deal with any morie patterns from the eyes? Tremendous image Charlie!

Frez

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Magnificant view on that fly!

a little suggestion. If you are able to rotate the fly a bit you can take two images at different angles and make a stereoscopic image! It would be great to see that with those stacked images!

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I've seen a lot of fly close-ups Charlie but none like this. These are great. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wim... I've done "conventional" 3D stuff where you shift the camera horizontally, but never tried "micro" 3D. Do you simply "rotate" the subject around an arbitrary axis for two images, or is there a more precise methodology? I think you are right... something like this in 3D would be quite impressive.... almost scary!