epacris impressa...

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

crocoite

epacris impressa...

Post by crocoite »

While I was out looking for a particular quarry yesterday near Dover in southeastern Tasmania, I took some photos of epacris impressa, or common heath as it is also known. It can form white, various shades of pink, and even bright red flowers up to 25mm long. It looks great en masse in the middle of Winter.

The floral emblem of the state of Victoria (the pink form), this plant flowers through Autumn and Winter in southeastern parts of Australia.

Here are pics of the white (cropped by about a third) and pink forms...

Taken with Sony DSC-F828 Macro setting, hand held, everything else auto[/img]
Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Seems as though I have seen something like this before but can't recall where. Nice photograph Steve. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Thanks Ken

These were first found in Tasmania in the 1830s but have been exported to many parts of the world, particularly in the northern hemisphere, as they are in flower at Christmas (in hot houses of course :) )
Regards
Steve

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Great flower shots Steve. It is always interesting to see flora & fona from different parts of the world.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Interesting! According to http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/e-imp.html, this genus is found only in Australia and nearby islands.

There is a different group, called "heather", that is widely distributed in North America and I believe elsewhere. Search Google for heather ericaceae (you need both terms or get many pretty girls :wink: ), or see my few pics around the middle of this page.

Your "heath" and our "heather" are different families. Our heather is in with the Rhododendrons!

--Rik
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Thanks Doug and Rik.

This genus is sometimes confused with the ericas. It probably got the 'heath' name because of this.

Have to say also Rik, that this genus is endemic to Australia, but thanks to recent homo sapiens activities, can now be found in other parts of the world! :roll:

Of course, the problem(?) works both ways - we have sparrows, european carp, rabbits, scottish thistles - the list is a big one!
Regards
Steve