Copperhead Head

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Copperhead Head

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

One of my handful of favorite snakes.

captive subject
90mm lens with 2x tc
1/250th second @ f/32
ISO 100
flash as main light
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Look at that! All wadded up. :shock: Makes you hurt all over just thinking about the possibility of being biten. They say it is tens if not hundereds as times as painful as a bee sting. Hope I never find out. A great image of the copper there Mike :D , found one just like him in the yard last summer. Hit'm with the lawn mower! :lol:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken Ramos wrote:Hit'm with the lawn mower! :lol:
Ah, Ken, haven't you been listening to the hardcore environmentalists? That snake had an important role to play! 'Course I have to confess, living up here in the northwest, that I've carefully considered all the roles of rattlesnakes, and concluded that while those roles are really important, they're also very well filled by other more palatable species. So the rattlers and I get along just fine, as long as it doesn't have to be in the same place. Perhaps things work the same in your neck of the woods?

--Rik
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.

MikeBinOKlahoma

With lone predators like rattlesnakes, there's usually a surplus of predators over available territories. Unless there is a VERY aggressive program of habitat destruction, or some ultra-effective method such as killing the snakes while hibernating in their "caves" in the winter, just killing individuals simply means a different one moves in soon after in most cases. :)
Mike Broderick

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Very beautiful snake and photo Mike. New Hampshire has one poisonous snake, the Timber Rattlesnake, which has been almost exterminated by activities of mankind. It is very rare and on the endangered list for this state. On the fear of snakes..Here is an interesting news bit I saw on Yahoo News Yesterday. http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060721/ ... hvBHNlYwM-
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

paul

Post by paul »

Some 'handful' here, Mike. I always like your world of reptiles, as you capture these patterns in a unique way.

NZ is a snakefree country, not even snakes in zoos (as far as I know). Some years ago sombody lost a snakeskin in Auckland (on a way to a party, must have been part of a costume), causing a major bisecurity alert when it was found!
paul h

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

rjlittlefield wrote:while those roles are really important, they're also very well filled by other more palatable species. So the rattlers and I get along just fine, as long as it doesn't have to be in the same place.
MikeBinOKlahoma wrote:With lone predators like rattlesnakes, there's usually a surplus of predators over available territories. Unless there is a VERY aggressive program of habitat destruction, or some ultra-effective method such as killing the snakes while hibernating in their "caves" in the winter, just killing individuals simply means a different one moves in soon after in most cases. :)
That may be a good description in most places, but it didn't work that way in the places that I grew up. In north central Washington, there is competition for both prey and territory between rattlesnakes and bullsnakes. In general, the bullsnakes did better in moister, bushier areas, while the rattlesnakes were mostly restricted to the drier and rockier territory. People prefer water and bushes too, so there was a lot of overlap between bullsnakes and people, but not much between the rattlers and people. We preferred it that way. The bullsnakes were at worst a bit frightening on sudden meetings, before we could tell for sure what they were, while the rattlers could do some serious damage to pets and small children. So the bullsnakes were welcomed to keep the rodents down and make the place less attractive to the rattlers. On those rare occasions when a rattler showed up in the people areas, it was quickly evicted or dispatched. We thought of it as shifting the balance of power. :D In any event, the resulting calm lasted for quite a long time. I think we averaged a rattler every couple of years in the people areas. Hiking the hills was of course another matter, but in those places the rattlers were no problem anyway.

--Rik
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Good point. Though you did refer to it, I didn't note your reference to other, more cuddly species. You triggered one of my hot-button lectures, and I didn't fully ponder what you'd said fully.
Mike Broderick

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

MikeBinOKlahoma wrote:Good point. Though you did refer to it, I didn't note your reference to other, more cuddly species. You triggered one of my hot-button lectures, and I didn't fully ponder what you'd said fully.
Mike,

No problem -- actually I figured I'd just kind of float that thought as a trial balloon and see what sort of artillary was used to shoot it down.

My situation was perhaps a bit unusual. When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's in Okanogan County, Washington, the area could be concisely described as "5500 square miles with one traffic light". The description was literal. Driver training students used to travel 45 miles just to get to that one traffic light to practice on. You can safely assume that we didn't have a lot of problem with endangered species caused by habitat destruction. There are more traffic lights now -- might be a couple dozen or more -- but still the area is in pretty good shape.

In any case, I am sympathetic to the plight of endangered snakes in general, and I appreciate your hot-button response. Please feel free to keep using it whenever it seems appropriate.

--Rik