Would like a critique on this shot.

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

dearis

Would like a critique on this shot.

Post by dearis »

Hi there,

I was wondering if I can get an honest even brutal if necesary critique of this shot. It was wet this morning so I set up my lightbox and fired of a few shots. I have begun using my macro flash and experimenting with it. The flash was set at 4:1 on this shot.

It is the budding flower of the Australian Kangaroo paw, when mature the flower is actually the very tip of the paw and you really need to strain to see it. When mature the buds/paws can me 200mm long.

Regards Darren

Exif infomation is 1/200sec, F/32, ISO-100, AV mode.

Canon 350d body
50mm f/1.8 MKII
17-40mm f/4 L
70-200mm f/4 L
100mm f/2.8 Macro,

Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
Speedlite 580EX

Cable release
Manfrotto Tripod & Monopod
Canon tripod mount ring A
Kenko Pro Extension Rings
BG-E3 Grip
My Gallery http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/ ... /?start=20

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I'm not very good at critiques there Darren but overall the photo is not bad. :D What I don't like is the background, to me it seems too bright and conflicts with the colors of the flower. Sharpness is another thing. The flower is naturally fuzzy it seems, so this really presents a problem for trying to capture the finer details of the flower, if this was shot handheld, I think use of a tripod would remedy this. Also, I think the use of a background which is not so bright would improve the image over all. I noticed that you shot this in the AV mode. Personally I prefer the manual mode and sometimes take several shots at different settings of the same subject and pick out the best. The 350D has a bracketing mode which will shoot three images at different settings also, so you can pick out the best of the series. You many want to try that. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.