A very odd looking amoeba!

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

A very odd looking amoeba!

Post by Charles Krebs »

I haven't seen anything quite like it before. While scanning the slide quickly at low mag I thought it was an unusual ciliate of some type, but when I looked more closely it appeared to be an amoeba.
Any ID thoughts welcomed. My guess for now is that it might be a testate amoeba with no test.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Unusual Charlie, Jahns has a few that look similar but no match. Having plasmodia on my mind this time of year, I am inclined to think that it could be two fused amoeba instead of one. :lol: However who knows, maybe you have the formation of a new plasmodium going on there. The reason being is that it does resemble the plasmodia of a slime mold at the edges. Anyway you got me stumped Charlie. :-k Got any more photos of it at a lower mag? :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

No really good overall shots, but here's one:

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Charlie and Ken--

I hope someone has an ID for this one, since they are showing up in my pond cultures as well.

--David

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Looking at the overall shot of the amoeba and comparing it to what I find in Jahns, it somewhat resembles some of the organisms in the Family Flabellulidae (page 157 Jahns Second Edition, Jahn Bovee Jahn). However these are mostly marine but Jahns lists at least one in freshwater. Still not quite sure where this amoeba belongs. :-k
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Hi Charles, Very interesting! Could that be a small flagellum in the first image? I believe amoebae are related to certain types of flagellates.

I can't post at the moment. Something wrong with my server.

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Good eye Wim :wink: If that is a flagellum, the possiblity of it being a Mastigamoeba is good. Although I do not notice any bacteria attached to the pseudopodia, they do not necessarily have to be present, nor does a uriod. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Yup! I've got a new pair of glasses :shock: :)

I can't upload anything for a week now. My provider has technical problems. So I think I'll have a small posting holiday and let you folks do all the work:)

Wim