Chuckwalla!

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Chuckwalla!

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

This is definitely not technically macro, but it is in keeping with the Lizards theme, so I'm pretty sure Danny won't send a squadron of Tuartas (spell?) to chew on my typing fingers!

This is a Chuckwalla. Except for the Gila Monster, they are the largest lizards in the US. Still not giants, usually less than 18 inches long. They are vegetarian lizards, but take time out from grazing to Sun themselves like this one is doing.

When threatened, Chuckwallas dash into crevices in rock, inhale and puff themselves up very large so that they are jammed against the crevice walls and can't be pulled out by predators. According to a guidebook, American Indian hunters would take advantage of this by letting the lizard run into a crevice, puff itself up, then reach in with a strong sharp-pointed stick and "pop the balloon". The Chuckwalla was then easy to pull out!

As I approached this fellow, when I got too close he would pump his front up and down in the "I'm the boss here" pushup behavior so many lizards have. I'd pause and wait awhile, then move a bit closer. When I was as close as I wanted to be, I stopped advancing, and he stopped doing pushups. I wanted to photograph him doing the pushups, but didn't want to go closer, I was afraid he'd run off. He didn't do anymore pushups, but after thinking on it for a bit, I grabbed my hat and pumped it up and down off my head. Sure enough, the lizard responded with his own pushups! I was so surprised it worked that I was slow in getting my shots off the first time. But I did it a couple of more times till I got the photos I wanted, then carefully walked off. Leaving the lizard very smug about showing up that big intruder, I'm sure!

Chuckwalla
Joshua Tree National Park
EOS 10D
100-400 with 1.4x tc
tripod mount
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D Interesting. If I were to do push ups to show I am boss, someone would probably kick me in the ribs while I am down there. Good comentary Mike and photo. 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

LOL, so thats the true meaning of hat-trick or should that be hat trick.

They are very powerful looking creatures the lizards and reptiles. They always look so daunting and proud. Well taken here Mike, very well taken. The ground / crest in this shot, is the perfect setting for this and against the sky. EXCELLENT !!

All the best Mike, fine work.

Danny.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Beautiful Mike! They are fun to watch doing the pushups. I thought it was some sort of mating ritual :lol: since I seen them do it in April and they had all those colors flashing about.-
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Sue, I believe they do the pushups as part of mating as well. For lots of animals, being dominant is a big part of mating rights!

While in Mexico, I was told that in the Mexican army, when they talk about pushups, they call them "Lizards" (in Spanish of course....).
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

So would that be Lizardoooos Mike ?? :wink: