External release for Canon G3 camera...

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

External release for Canon G3 camera...

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' guys :D

Some of you know that I have been having difficulties shooting moving micro-critters because of the long shutter lag on my Canon G3 digital camera. It is next to impossible to maintain focus, run the stage controls, and fire the shutter with only two hands. Also, partially depressing the shutter release button on the camera cuts the shutter lag time in half.

To alleviate some of the problems I was having I cobbled together an external shutter release using black foamcore, 5 minute epoxy glue, rubber bands, eye glass nose pads, and an old-fahioned bulb triggered air shutter release...

I took some strips of foamcore and glued them together with 5 min epoxy glue into a u-shape that fit over the grip area of the camera. A couple of custom bends were needed to clear some camera controls. 1) This is the plunger end of the air triggered cable release. 2) The remainder of the plunger tip is surrounded by layered foamcore and is glued permanently in place with 5 minute epoxy glue. 3) The plunger tip is flush with the shutter release button on the camera. I stuck a self-adhesive rubber eye glass nose pad on the shutter release button to protect the release button from the plunger tip. 4) A rubber band is stretched over the extra block of foamcore on the top piece, around the bottom of the camera, and over another block of foamcore on the bottom piece.

The air triggered shutter release has a long (20') air cable between the release plunger and a squeeze bulb. Squeeze the squeeze bulb and the plunger tip shoots out and presses on the release button on the camera. Presto!! The shutter fires. I cut the air cable to 8' and put the squeeze bulb on the floor. When I am ready to make an exposure I step on the squeeze bulb with moderate pressure from my foot. This half-presses the shutter release button. When I want to make the exposure I apply more pressure to the squeeze bulb and the shutter fires. This cuts my shutter release lag time by half. This also frees my hands so that I can concentrate on maintaining focus and composition. The rubber band stretched around the bottom of the camera acts as a shock absorber in case I step on the bulb too hard.

I've used this for about a week now and my percentage of "keepers" has gone up appreciably. Those of you who own other makes of digital cameras could easily make a similar adapter for your camera. The bulb-type air release only costs about $12.00.

Best regards to all as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Tom, thanks for making me think about this - I sometimes think that to do all the things I'd like to, I need as many arms as Shiva, but hadn't really put my mind to solving the problem. I've now ordered an air release and will improvise something when it arrives. We'll see how it goes...
Graham

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

You're welcome, Graham :D

I don't think Nature was aware early on that man would need more arms than brains :!: :D

Best regards as always, Graham :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Well, Tom, the pneumatic release arrived and I've now constructed a sort of metal clip with rubber sheet lining that fits round the end of the camera. The end of the pneumatic release is a tight fit in a hole in the clip and I've put a rubber pad cut with a cork borer in the end of the release to protect the surface of the camera button release. Looks like it should work well - the test shots worked fine. I'd post a picture, but the quality from the other cheapo digital camera is not up to it. Thanks for the idea!
Graham

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Good for you, Graham :D

It does make things much easier. I find it best to put the squeeze bulb under the heel of my foot. My squeeze bulb needs a lot of pressure so I rest the weight of my foot on the bulb then mash down on it when I want to make an exposure. I used it all this afternoon tomake about 80 exposures and it worked great :!: :D

All the best to you, my friend :D
Tom Webster
Administrator