Paramecium dividing - in polarized light

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

piotr

Paramecium dividing - in polarized light

Post by piotr »

This picture of Paramecium I took with crossed polars. The little birefringent crystals found inside a cell consist of uric acid, calcium oxalate, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, amino acids and other substances (Wichterman, 1953).

Here I added a home-made retardation plate:

25x/0.60 objective, Sony DSC-V1.
Piotr

Frez

Post by Frez »

Oh that's beautiful! I'm blown away by this. All of those crystals...that's amazing. Very, very nice! Congrats!

Frez

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Looks live a far-off galaxy photographed by the Hubble, beautiful Piotr.
Kenv
Ken

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Really nice piotr. Polarized light is amazing with a microscope, too bad it sucks up so much light. Imagine all the other things that are going on right under our eyes but were just not looking in the proper way to see them. You should try a few shots with the polarizers not quite as close to extinction as well. They are all interesting but different.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Thank you, guys! :-)

The first picture is a bit overprocessed, I will replace it later.

Charlie, yes, the effect with partially crossed polars is very nice, too. I will be doing more experiments.

Apparently - there are protozoans rich in micro-crystals, others don't include birefringent crystals at all. I think Vorticella is another interesting example.
Piotr

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am all for the Vorticella Piotr. Lets see one. Awesome images here of the Paramecium, great captures. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

Uric acid is especially beautiful. Its characteristic rainbow appearance under polarized light was useful for us medical lab types to confirm uric acid crystals in various lab specimens.
Garry DeLong