I've gone back to film...for now.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

I've gone back to film...for now.

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all :D

I've spent the last 2 or 3 days shooting images through the new objectives I received with my Zeiss microscope. I am just not getting the quality from the Canon G3 that I expected. No combination of relay lens + camera yielded a satisfying image. The shutter lag time is also very, very frustrating. I have come to the conclusion that shooting with the G3 is just way too much work so I switched back to the Canon A2E film camera last night and shot a test roll. I'll have images to post tonight.

It only took me 15 minutes to set up the A2E and fire off my first shot. I don't seem to have the trouble with focusing that some people do. I use a right-angle finder on my camera and focus using a macro focusing screen rather than the standard screen supplied with the camera. I run the camera up and down on a bellows unit, similar to Charlie's, to get the camera close to parfocal with the eyepieces. After that I just touch up the focus while viewing through the right-angle finder.

(I was going to shoot some more tonight but the rear standard on my macro bellows broke :!: :shock: I'll have to take it to a camera repair shop tomorrow. :( )

Anyhow, I think it's film for me until I can afford to purchase a used Canon D30 or D60. Anybody want to contribute to the D60 fund :?: :D :P

Best regards to all as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

MikeBinOKlahoma

Re: I've gone back to film...for now.

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

twebster wrote:Hi y'all :D

Anyhow, I think it's film for me until I can afford to purchase a used Canon D30 or D60. Anybody want to contribute to the D60 fund :?: :D :P
Until I read this final sentence, I was twitching to write a response urging you to try a DSLR. I had never used an SLR till I used my Canon D60. It replaced a Canon Pro90 point and shoot. The ease of and speed of autofocus and quick response time of the D60 seemed magical. It wasn't till I got onto internet message boards until I learned that the D60 was considered to have atrocious autofocus!

So a DSLR of some sort will do you much better, you're right!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Tom,

You shoulda got that nikon 990 :twisted: Film? You must be insane :shock:

Seriously, I'll be interested to know how that goes.
Are you going to shoot color or BW?

Steve

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I really like my D60 and maybe your tax refund will come in handy for that...hint..hint.. :lol:
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' guys :D

Mike and Sue...Unfortunately, no tax refund this year. :( Oh well, gives me something to look forward to next Christmas :!: :D I've heard the D60 autofocus is slow but it can't be any slower than my Canon A2E film camera. I'm not much of an autofocus photographer, anyhow. I've only used autofocus on the A2E twice in 6 or 7 years. I grew up with Nikon Fs and F2s. Kind of hard to break the manual focus habit. :D

If I get a D60 (I'd even settle for a D30) I would set it up as a dedicated microscope camera. I've got the G3 for poking around for other pictures. December isn't all that far away.... :!: :D

Steve...Yes, film :!: You young whippersnappers don't know what you are missing :!: Honest, I almost bought the Nikon 990 instead of the G3. The only thing that turned me away from the 990 was the fact that flash is not TTL. I intend to use the G3 for some macro work, too, and I prefer TTL flash.

When I worked for the county coroner's office some 25+ years ago I shot all of the images on a special Kodak Photomicrographic Ektachrome film. I shot it through a Zeiss Ultraphot II microscope with an automatic camera. Images had to be transparencies in those days. Now I shoot on mostly Fuji Super HQ color print film, ISO 100. Once the film is scanned you can't tell what the image was shot on. Almost all of the images in my image galleries were made on film, especially the crossed polarized crystal images. Go to http://www.oncloserinspection.com/Image ... ystals.htm to at least see how well film works with the crystals.

Best regards to you, my friends, as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Tom,

They certainly are great images, but film sure seems like a lot of hassle :P

One thing I've learned from Charlie is that when you are doing flash on the microscope, TTL metering doesn't matter much since you want to be in manual mode with a flash sync fast enough to capture the flash pulse and nothing else. I do have a full film setup here with a Nikon EFM, photo relay, periscope, shutter/metering unit, flash. I just can't bear to go back to film (I don't think I can affordit either). Someday, I'll attach a DSLR to this rig

For everything else though, flash TTL is what you want.

Steve

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Steve :D

To be honest with you, film ain't that big of a hassle. As to cost, it costs me about $4.00 per 24 exposures (film + processing). Out of those 24 exposures I will generally get 18 "keepers". True, I have to scan each negative with a film scanner so that takes a little time but I still have about the same amount of post-exposure image correction to do with digital images. So the real disadvantage to me is that I have to wait for the film to be processed and I have to scan the negatives. For someone who has worked in the photo industry for nearly 23 years I'm used to it. Besides, my wife, Marsha, runs a mini-lab for Walgreens and I get "same-day" processing of my film and she gets a well-tuned processor.:D

The best I could get from the G3 was about 5 useable images per 75 exposures. Afterwards I still had a lot of post exposure image corrections. Yes, I could sit down and shoot 100+ exposures in a session and see the results immediately but the ratio of "keepers" to "trash" was way too low. I was spending more time making adjustments to poor images to see if I had "keepers" than I was shooting. This is unacceptable to me as I have very little time to shoot. I am not impressed with the G3 for microscope work, to say the least.

The disadvantages using the G3 are just too great for me. Shooting moving subjects with a long shutter lag is way too frustrating. You can't predict focus when you can't see your subject while tripping the shutter. Also, I have yet to find an acceptable relay lens that doesn't introduce some sort of noticeable aberration. If I do find a combination that works then I'm kind of stuck with that combination and that range of image magnifications. With the film camera I can change projection lenses to change image magnifications and not sacrifice image quality.

With my film camera setup I can view the critter I'm photographing right up to the moment the shutter fires. There is a very, very short shutter lag time with my Canon A2E. Actually, if I continue with film I may purchase a used Canon RT camera. This camera uses a pellicle prism rather than a mirror so there is no mirror slap and the shutter delay is even shorter (miliseconds) because you don't have to wait for the mirror to flip up. These can be purchased real cheap right now (right around $200.00). This probably will be the route I will go if I cannot save enough money for a dSLR.

I have no problems viewing and focusing my subjects through the viewfinder. I have a focus screen designed for photomicrography and I use a right-angle finder so I don't have to crank my neck around. The camera is mounted on a Canon bellows extension and I can turn the camera on the bellows for horizontal or vertical images or anything in between. Since the shutter lag time is so short and the film is advanced by motor I can make exposures as fast as I can press the shutter. There's no waiting for the digital camera to write a file to the memory card.

My earliest adventures using flash for photomicrography were using an auto flash unit with the A2E. Unless I was wanting to "freeze" the cilia on a rotifer or Vorticella the auto flash worked very well with very accurate and consistent exposures. In fact, the exposures with autoflash on the A2E were more consistent than manual flash on the G3. A lot less fiddling when changing objective lenses. Auto flash works very well with all but the fastest of protists. Check out my images of Urocentrum turbo, http://www.oncloserinspection.com/Image ... cili07.htm. If you know how wildly Urocentrum moves then consider that these images are 4 exposures in a row. Try that with anything other than a film SLR or dSLR! :D

Here's another advantage to film. If a DVD or CD of image files goes bad (that does happen) or a hard drive fails (which happens, too) any image files are lost. With film I can always go back and rescan the negatives. I have a physical backup to my virtual images.

After reading what I wrote, here, I may have just convinced myself to stay with film :!: :shock:

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Well, I couldn't get my bellows extension fixed so I'm stuck with the G3 until I can afford to buy a new bellows. :(
Tom Webster
Administrator

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Tom, I'm sure you will get things sorted out soon. Once you get a belows you should be able to get a Canon DSLR pretty reasonably priced on Ebay - you don't need to consider speed of AF because you won't be using a lens.
Hope you get sorted soon Tom.
Best Regards Kenv
Ken