Actinoptychus senarius

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

Actinoptychus senarius

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you all for your kind words. (I'll stop thanking now) But it felt a bit as if I came late on a party and when I opened the door suddenly the music and all the conversation stopped and everybody gazed at me. :D It is weird because I still feel a bit like a beginner. I've seen things in your forum that I can only dream about making. I still have a lot to learn. But more about that later, first an image:

This is the diatom's way of protesting against the polution of the ocean :D

It is an interesting organism for combining images. I have seen a very impressive result in the forum. I don't have a digital camera on the microscope so it is too time consuming to scan many slides :) But I made a couple of images so I could create more depth of field. But in this case I think it is also o.k. to use the shallow depth of field to emphasize the strange threedimensional shape. But perhaps a bit more depth of field would be better. Actually this image was made from 2 slides since the depth of field was so shallow.

I think that the out of focus areas give the image a bit dream-like atmosphere. I have not yet used the Helicon software. I am curious if it is easy to control and to retain the out of focus parts! But I can't wait to combine loads of images.

Sorry for the long text. I'll have a lot more I like to discuss but I'll try to spread it over several postings.

best regards from the low countries!

Wim

rene

Re: Actinoptychus senarius

Post by rene »

Wim van Egmond wrote:
This is the diatom's way of protesting against the polution of the ocean :D
best regards from the low countries!

Wim
Gorgeous picture, Wim. Hope to see you get a digital camera soon so we can see your museum grow even quicker! Yes, I have somewhere a combined image of the two different depths, but it was a bit of a dissapointment as the feeling for depth disappeared. Unlike the other stack that was taken from anangle, but I forgot who took it, was it Graham?

Anyway, there are things sticking out on the edge in the middle of each sector; there's a corresponding hole in the alternating (deep)sector.

Rene.

Frez

Post by Frez »

That's excellent Wim! I have only seen these in their fossilized form. It's nice to see what they look like with their insides intact. Even with transmitted light you captured the exo-structure very well. I can just make out the pores. Beautiful!

Frez

piotr

Post by piotr »

Image Image Image :-)

Amazing picture, impressive details! This shallow depth of field really works here. Beautiful!

What objective did you use?
Piotr

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Wim :!: :D

This is gorgeous :!: I love the contrast of the sharp portions of the diatom against the out of focus portions. Sometimes shallow depth of field works well with a subject. Frez sent me a couple of fossil diatom strew slides and I shot a 12 image stack of this diatom. It was just a lot of fun to watch various parts come into and then go out of focus. Beautiful image, Wim :D

Best regards as always, my friend :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thanks! It was done with a 25X neofluar. I cropped it a bit but there was still enough detail left.

Wim