Shrimp Again - 40x

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

S. Alden
Site Admin

Shrimp Again - 40x

Post by S. Alden »

This is the same guy again only this time I used the 40x. I think he is dying. He has been on my slide for awhile now. I attempted to save my water bear once, but all I did was smashed him when I took off the cover :cry: .
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wow, what a shot. Yep he's dying alright, his guts are spilling out. Lots of detail in this Sue, very good :D :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

lacerta

Post by lacerta »

Now that is a high-res, beautiful shot Sue. You definately put the squeeze on him.
George

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

It is probably a she as most waterfleas are females that bear unfertilised eggs.

If you use little dots of something like vaseline under the corners of the coverslip you may prevent crushing the waterflea!

Wim

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

She was not crushed to begin with. She/he was all over the place. It was only after being on the slide for awhile that she/he would stay still for a bit. That is how I knew she/he was dying, not moving so much anymore.

What do you guys do with your little critters? Do you let them die, or try to put them back in your sample water? I tried to put them back, but ended up killing them in the process, so now I just let the slide dryout and then clean it and try not to think about it.

The reason I think this is a Shrimp and not a water flea, is the tail (which is not visible in this image) looked like a shrimp tail.
Sue Alden
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I usually just go ahead and clean the slide immediately after use. The organisms thereon die instantly instead of dying a slow death. Besides if you let the slide dry first and then try to clean it, sometimes the coverslip sticks to the slide and ends up getting scratched up or broken in the process of removal. However you can let it soak in distilled water. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Thanks Ken. I will clean them immediately. I do not want them to suffer. I really wanted to keep my water bear, but what happens is I look at them forever and the slide dries up in the process.
Sue Alden
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

There are seveal ways to keep a wet mount going. One is by the use of vasaline, which is very messy, and the other is by the use of a well slide. However with the well slide high magnifications are sometimes difficult to obtain if the subject dives deep into the water, so low powers of 50X (5X) and 100X (10X) are much better.

What I do with a well slide is that I place my drop of water containing the beasties in the well and cover with a cover slip. This usually lasts for a good long while. Every so often as the water begins to dry, I place a fresh drop beside the edge of the cover slip and it is pulled into the well. You can do this with an eye dropper or a 1cc 27g1/2 Tuberculin syringe. I get my syringe w/needle at the local drug store. They are about a buck and a quarter apiece, I think. Been a long time since I have purchased any, I have a jar full of them. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

piotr

Post by piotr »

Very nice detailed picture! Do you still use Canon G5?
Piotr

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Thanks piotr

I use the Fujifilm FinePix 2650
Sue Alden
Administrator

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Dear Sue,

I sometimes try to keep them alive and put them back. First add some water, let if float under the coverslip and than raise the coverslip with the forceps. by adding drops of water you can spray the organisms back. But I only do that if they behaved well in front of the camera! :D

I am absolutely sure it is a water flea. I don't have my identification book here but it is a Chydorid waterflea, search google (images) for chydoridae and you will see!

Wim

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Thanks Wim.

I will try your technique for saving the little critters. I hate that they die just because I want to look at them.
Sue Alden
Administrator