Fun with backgrounds

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Moebius

Fun with backgrounds

Post by Moebius »

I had a nice butterfly image, but the background was very busy. I blackened out the background as below. Is this 'legal' for this gallery? I left the subject untouched, just removed the distractions around him.

Is this sort of manipulation frowned upon in the general macro community?

Ken Nelson
FZ-20
Nikon 6T

Erland

Post by Erland »

It's a nice shot of the butterfly.
I do not like to edit my pictures like you've done, but that's just my personal opinion. Anyway something like a green background might be better, I feel there is too much contrast between the bright yellow insect and the black background.

You could capture an image like this though, sometimes even without flash, but usually a picture with background like that indicates use of a flash. I am not very fond of flashes for insects, even though it works well in many situations. Sometimes a flash may be the only way to go, possebly when using high magnification. But pictures of the complete insect I like with natural light. Some of the best pictures can be taken when there is a light cloud cover, which will render pictures with soft light and good colour maturation.

Have to admit though, that I bought a macro flash two months ago :oops:

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

There are two thoughts on this and the purists shun it. I can see it from there point of view but its not something that personally worries me to be honest. To me the main subject is what counts and in this shot its the butterfly. Very nice shot BTW :D :wink: So no problem in my view Ken. Cloning, brightening, softening, cropping, etc, most don't have a problem with.

Nice sharp details in this Ken and that eye is unusual with that colour, interesting. Pops off the background this one.

All the best Ken :D

Danny.