MT-24EX flash users, HELP!

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

MT-24EX flash users, HELP!

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

For a lot of my macro photography, I use a Canon MT-24EX macro flash. It has two separate small flash heads that you can reposition to tweak the lighting.

The "A" head on my flash isn't firing reliably anymore. Once in awhile, it does fire, with no discernable pattern. The small modeling light, for testing, works fine. I've tried this on two separate cameras, and it behaves similarly on both.

I've pored over the manual, and the flash ratio is set to 1:1, so the flash head isn't accidentally turned off. None of the custom functions seem to have any relevance to the situation. It isn't a case of the flash somehow firing only on need--The MT-24EX isn't designed to do that, and if I cover the "B" flash head with my hand, I just get a black photo (assuming I use macro-ish f/stops).

I see no alternative to sending this to Canon to be serviced (out of warranty). I'm posting here, hoping someone has a bright idea I've overlooked.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

wilash

Post by wilash »

The only thing I can think of would be to clean the cable contacts if there are any.
Will

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Mike :D

As wilash has already suggested, clean the contacts with an eraser, even the contacts on the camera. If this does not remedy your issue, check the cords to make sure they are seated properly and are not broken inside the casing. Canon flash cords are notoriously fragile. Failing these checks you may have to send the flash to Canon for repairs.

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!