How to store bug specimens

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

wilash

How to store bug specimens

Post by wilash »

Is there a good way to prepare bugs for storage? I have a collection of dead insect friends that I examine under my microscope. However, when they are stored in a closed container, they smell like dead fish. Is there a way of preparing them for storage to rid them of this odor - I am afraid they may end up attracting bugs I don't want in my house.
Will

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I usually just keep mine in small 2" X 2" cardboard boxes I get at a craft store or in the craft section of a department store. You can use very fine stick pins on which to mount them also. As for odors, hmm...you may try to place a small amount of baking soda within a small container and place that in the box/case with them if you have an odor problem. So far I have not encountered that situation with my collections but then again I only have a small number of insects. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

It sounds like your insects are still a little damp. Before placing in closed storage, be sure they are completely dry. Putting a small package of dry silica gel in with them may help, if your environment is very humid.

But even if the insects are completely dry, there is still a very real danger from bugs that you don't want -- notably dermestid beetles and their larvae that love dry protein and will happily reduce your collection to small piles of left-over scales.

The usual museum solution is to keep dried insects in not quite completely sealed containers along with some "moth balls" -- naphthalene or PDB. Some sources advocate the use of stronger insecticides like Vapona No-Pest Strips. Moth balls work for me.

--Rik

wilash

Post by wilash »

Thanks for the tips. I will give them a try.
Will