Lighting for macro query

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

GreenLarry

Lighting for macro query

Post by GreenLarry »

I have a 100mm macro for my EOS 300 which is fully automatic and gives great images.
I also have a TTL flash(Cobra 440AF) which tho does work with the correct TTL adaptor from Canon the flash is very big and has quite a high guide number. Also I dont have a proper macro bracket so it has to sit on the hotshoe which is no good for macro work. I can mount it on a tripod but this is a bit cumbersome out in the field!

Im wondering if I would do better to get a smaller unit and rig up a macro mount of some kind-I would love a ringlight but couldnt afford one just yet.
Any recommendations/tips etc gratefully received.

This is an image taken with TTL flash and a dark background, i held the flash while the camera was on a tripod and fired the camera remotely:

EOS 300
100mm macro lens
Cobra 440AF TTLFlash

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' GreenLarry, :D

The size of the flash isn't all that important. What is important is getting that flash off the camera and close to the camera lens and subject. To do this you will need the Canon Off Camera Shoe Cord 2 (US$49.95) and a bracket to hold the flash. Kirk Enterprises makes an inexpensive (US$69.95) macro flash bracket that can be made to do a reasonable job by adding a US$10.00 Giotto ball head to the bracket. Keep an eye open, I will have a product review on this bracket out in a couple of days.

I cannot stand ring flashes and the donut highlights they produce. I also can't stand the twin highlights from the 2 flash setups, either. The lighting never looks natural to me. I shoot all of my macro images using a single flash. I am also putting together an article about using a single flash for macro photography. I should have it done in a week or 2.

Stay tuned... :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

Thanbks Tom, I doi have a Canon off-camera unit which I used here, but I have no bracket and so have to hand hold the flash, pointed in the riht direction.