Monitor Lizard

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gunn

Monitor Lizard

Post by gunn »

monitor lizard shot in the park a few days ago. 20D, 100/f2.8, 1/250, f6.7.

Just a quick post and to say hi to all the good people here at photomacrography.net after a long absence.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Beautiful lizard gunn, simply beautiful. Glad to see you back
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

biawak

Post by biawak »

Nice catch Gunn but it's not a monitor lizard ('goanna'). It's a Calotes emma (a tree lizard sometimes called 'bloodsucker'). It's a member of the dragon family (Agamidae).
biawak.deviantart.com

gunn

Post by gunn »

hi biawak. nice to be talking to you again. wow, didn't know it was more of a dragon than it was a lizard. hope it's saliva doesn't contain the same deadly bacteria as does that of the kodomo.

regards
gunn

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

gunn wrote:hope it's saliva doesn't contain the same deadly bacteria as does that of the kodomo.
Hi Gunn, glad to see you returning here, and hope to see you more often! But PLEASE don't French-kiss the lizards, regardless of what's in their saliva! :lol:
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

biawak

Post by biawak »

Gunn, no worries about the saliva! I've been bitten many times by this species and did not even get any infection.
BTW we did an analysis of about 12 different monitor lizards in my collection about 10 years ago and none of them had any deadly bacteria in their saliva like the komodo monitor. Each species does have very specific microbial population though.
biawak.deviantart.com