Hey, I Found a Snake in My Yard!

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Hey, I Found a Snake in My Yard!

Post by Ken Ramos »

No, it's not one of my old girlfriends who came to call either. :lol:

Green (Grass) Snake
EOS 350D
1/200 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100
430EX Canon Speedlite (-1/3)
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Green (Grass) Snake
1/200 sec. @ f/5.6 ISO 100
430EX Canon Speedlite (-1/3)
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Canon Macro USM

It was pretty cooperative, it allowed me to get right up in its little green face. :lol:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Old girlfriend or not, this girl has definitely enticing eyes. :lol:

In The Santharian dream World, Grass Snakes live throughout the continent of Sarvonia, making their home in grassy fields and heaths. They are fairly harmless creatures and pose no threat to humans in the least bit. The usually eat small rodents, fish, insects, and eggs. There are four different subspecies of Grass Snake, named for the color of their scales: Green, Gold, Bronze, and Black.
At one time it was believed that Grass Snakes actually reproduced via spontaneous generation; that is, springing as miniature snakelings directly from the grass in which they lived! In fact, there are still old peasants who may be found in the countryside who refuse to cut their borders and verges, alluding to this belief and saying it will "slay the Snakemothers" and that vermin will flourish as a result...
Children in the northern areas of Santharia believe that the direction a Grass Snake slithers off in after it is caught and released will answer a question they ask of it, or give a prophecy. The rhyme chanted at such a time is shown below in two of its many forms:

"Grassie, grassie, wriggle free,
Here's the boon I beg of thee.
South for aye and north for nay,
East now, west another day."

"Grassie, grassie, wriggle for me,
Hear my question, hear my plea.
Wriggle south, the answer's aye,
Wriggle north, for nay I'll cry.
Wriggle east and joy I'll know,
Wriggle westward brings me woe."

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Way to go, Ken! You can never have too many snake photos, and wild snake photos are the best. This snake reminds me a LOT of the Green Mamba at our zoo (which is of course quite poisonous). You sure one didn't escape from your local zoo? LOL
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

No Mike I don't think so, Asheboro is a long way from Rutherfordton, NC. This little slitherer was hanging out in the honeysuckle at the edge of the yard. Quite a beautiful little guy, maybe a little over a foot long. :D

Thats a pretty neat little rhyme there Nikola If I had known I would have picked it up and then released it after asking if I was going to win the lottory! :lol: I also found it interesting and enjoyed you sharing some of the folklore from your country. I always find it interesting to know what others think about certain things around the world. That is one thing I miss now that I am retired from the Navy, being able to visit other countries and learn of their culture. Thanks again Nikola. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

WoW, Very nice capture Ken, a beautiful snake & photo. I bet you were very excited when you first spotted this little gem. There are actually two green snakes in the USA. There is a Rough & Smooth Green Snake. The Rough Green is the more southern snake (Opheodrys Aestivus) and has keeled scales and the Smooth Green Snake (Opheodrys Vernalis) is the more northern snake. This one looks like it has Keeled Scales. I saw one up here in NH but for only a few seconds before it was gone in the grass. Nikola, I agree with Ken on the Folklore, thank you for sharing this with us...very interesting. =D>
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Like insects, I know very little about snakes too. I can tell which are poisonous or not and I know a few eastern species that are most common. Other than that... Well thanks for the info and the comment Doug. :D I was delighted to find the little guy! :wink:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Nikola, :D

Thank you, too, for sharing with us some of your folklore. You are a first rate example of what makes our little community so enjoyable. :D I absolutely love the harmonious mix of personalities we have for our members. Even KenR's. :wink: :D

Hi ya' Ken, :D

Very nice images, my friend. You just gotta love how green these snakes are. I'm surprised you used the 60mm. This guy doesn't have a very friendly expression :!: :D

Best regards to all, as always :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hi Tom! :D

I tell ya what Tom, if that little snakes head was some other shape than round, I would not have taken the photograph at all. :lol: Someone correct me if I am wrong, and I am sure someone will :lol: , but there are not many snakes that have a round head that are poisonous. Less than a hand full I think. Maybe MikeB could shed some light on that. :wink: Okay Tom, appreciate the comment and thanks! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

MacroLuv wrote: At one time it was believed that Grass Snakes actually reproduced via spontaneous generation; that is, springing as miniature snakelings directly from the grass in which they lived!
Maybe a reference to those snakes that give birth to live snakelets rather than eggs?

Nice photo BTW Ken - lovely colour.
Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!